Weliweriya clash claims 3rd victim

The death toll rose to two last night after a 19 year old youth succumbed to his injuries in hospital. According to the police, the youth was receiving treatment at the Colombo National hospital. He said that a discussion will take place tomorrow (Monday) between the Human Rights Commission, 26 government institutions and others based on the statements recorded over the incident. (Colombo Gazette) Earlier a 17 year old boy was killed from the Weliweriya violence and over 25 others sustained injuries.The Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) meanwhile said they have received complaints that many are missing. The Sri Lanka Human Rights Commission has meanwhile launched an investigation into the Weliweriya incident, Human Rights Commission Commissioner Dr. Prathiba Mahanamahewa said.He said that a special five member team had been sent to the area on Friday to carry out preliminary inquiries into the incident.Dr. Mahanamahewa said that a five member team of the Human Rights Commission had recorded statements from the police, the public, a church in the area and from others involved in the incident. A third person succumbed to his injuries suffered from the clashes at Weliweriya, hospital sources said.The 29 year old victim was receiving treatment at the Colombo National hospital and he was pronounced dead this afternoon.