Wetsuweten ask province to issue pipeline company cease and desist order

first_imgHereditary leaders from the Office of the Wet’suwet’en are asking the province to stop CGL from doing further work on unceded Wet’suwet’en territories. APTN/File photo.Justin BrakeAPTN NewsWet’suwet’en hereditary leaders are asking the province of British Columbia to order a pipeline company to stop preliminary work in unceded Wet’suwet’en territories.On Wednesday the Office of the Wet’suwet’en, which represents the nation’s traditional governance system, said in a news release it has asked provincial Environment Minister George Heyman for “an immediate cease-and-desist work order for Coastal GasLink pipeline project on Wet’suwet’en territories.”The request comes amid tensions between the Wet’suwet’en, provincial and federal governments, the company building the LNG pipeline, and the RCMP.The RCMP’s enforcement of a Coastal GasLink (CGL)-initiated court injunction earlier this month garnered national and international media attention and prompted nationwide rallies in support of the Unist’ot’en House and Gidimt’en Clan, who have reoccupied their territories in an effort to stop the pipeline.Late last week members of the Wet’suwet’en Nation alleged CGL bulldozed a Unist’ot’en trapline and tents belonging to the Gidimt’en Clan, and that the company—a subsidiary of Calgary-based TC Energy—has not completed a required archaeological impact assessment.The Wet’suwet’en say the actions violate the company’s permits.Earlier this week the province said its Environmental Assessment Office (EAO) and B.C.’s Oil and Gas Commission are jointly investigating the alleged violations.Wednesday’s letter from the Office of the Wet’suwet’en to Heyman also comes on the heels of news of past violations by the pipeline company.A recently released June 2018 inspection report from the EAO concludes “Coastal GasLink Pipeline is hereby warned that the project was not compliant” with six separate pre-construction requirements stemming from its Environmental Assessment Certificate.B.C.’s Environmental Assessment Office told APTN News in an email Wednesday evening that CGL “has since addressed the six conditions and is now in compliance with the conditions and requirements of its EAC.”The office said “if there are any non-compliance issues, the EAO will determine the appropriate enforcement response which could include: warnings, orders to cease work or remedy, or a range of other potential sanctions set out in the [province’s] Environmental Assessment Act.”But Wet’suwet’en hereditary leaders say they want work stopped immediately.“This [June 2018] report by the B.C Environmental Assessment Office Compliance and Enforcement Officer affirms our own Wet’suwet’en investigations about Coastal GasLink’s willful and illegal disregard for our territories and cultural practices,” Dini ze (Chief) Na’Moks, said in Wednesday’s news release.“The provincial government is required to uphold its own law and issue an immediate cease-and-desist work order for Coastal GasLink pipeline project on Wet’suwet’en territories. This project already does not have free, prior and informed consent under Wet’suwet’en rule of law, and now is violating B.C laws.”A request to CGL for comment was not returned by the time of publication.All five Wet’suwet’en bands have signed agreements with CGL that will provide money and jobs to their members.But the Office of the Wet’suwet’en, hereditary leaders and others have argued the band councils—which were established by Canada to replace the Wet’suwet’en governance system—the province, and company do not have jurisdiction outside the reserves.The hereditary chiefs have called the incursion on their territories by CGL and the RCMP an [email protected]@JustinBrakeNewslast_img read more

Read More →

Nantes pay emotional tribute to Emiliano Sala

first_imgNantes Football Club paid an emotional tribute to former striker Emiliano Sala on Wednesday night before their 1-1 home draw with Saint-Etienne.The 28-year-old, whose plane disappeared over an English channel on January 21, has a large photo of him unveiled in the center-circle prior to kick-off, the Nantes starting lineup also played in shirts featuring Sala’s name instead of their own.The Argentine went missing along with pilot David Ibbotson while traveling from Nantes to club Cardiff City.British police and investigators revealed on Wednesday it was likely that two seat cushions that have washed up on the shore in northern France were from the missing plane.AAIB responds to Sala’s family request to recover the plane’s wreckage Manuel R. Medina – August 14, 2019 The Air Accidents Investigation Branch says they already explained their decision not to recover the plane’s wreckage to Sala’s family and the pilot’s.Caen and former Nantes striker Yacine Bammou, who is a close friend of Sala’s before leaving Les Canaris, was in tears in the stands. The Nantes manager, Vahid Halilhodzic, also struggled to hold to back the tears.“It’s hard to talk about this, it’s a terrible moment, we’re all shocked,” Halilhodzic said before the match against Saint-Etienne, according to Rfi.“He is such a nice, kind, respectful, endearing boy and a true warrior who loved the club.”last_img read more

Read More →